Monday, July 25, 2011

Esprit Ads from the 80's

Appeared in Dolly magazine March 1984
Dolly magazine January 1984
Dolly magazine January 1984
Dolly magazine January 1984
Dolly magazine February 1987
Dolly magazine June 1986
Dolly magazine April 1983

These scans for me show a time when Esprit was young fresh and exciting.  I walked past one of their stores the other day and wondered just what happened to the brand.  It just seems so bland and run of the mill now.  I remember in the early 90's when the Esprit tote bag was the bag to carry, and I had the black one with multi-coloured lettering.  I really wish Esprit would re-issue their iconic pieces, and do a bit of an homage to their history kind of like how Benetton did in 2009 and luckily I managed to scoop up a lovely Benetton black and white stripe jumper from the archive series at their Tokyo store that year, which has thinner stripes on the torso and thicker ones on the arms.  I couldn't find a picture of it online though which is a bummer!  Anyway, next up I'll post a series of Benetton ads as featured in a variety of issues.  :)

10 comments:

  1. I always wanted to create my own great blog with 80s ads... I guess I'm too late. Your blog is too perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's never too late, I'm a bit too slack with new posts, so there's an opening for you ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked at Esprit at 1990 and I know what you mean! I was a fashion student at the time, so I even got to dress and style the windows, and even style some of their fashion shows at charity events which was major fun back then...They sure had some terrific stuff...The best days where when all the big boxes of samples would come in from Hong Kong and the US and we could use our staff discount on them...thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaaahhhh you must have the best memories from this time - am supremely jealous!

      Delete
  4. i remember Esprit oh do i feel old now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better that you experienced a really fun and visually exciting time.

      Delete
  5. I think I recognise my old flatmate (Marion?) wearing the black and yellow outfit from February 1987. Is that right? I think the editorial read that her favourite colour is yellow. She always used to say 'cool bananas'!

    Do correct me if I'm wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn, I was so hoping you were right! However upon checking the issue, her name is Kimberly Cooper aged 18 at the time.

      Delete
  6. I Loooove these pics! So glad I found your blog. I obsessed over esprit catalogs I es in high school. Thanks a million!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saved up pocket money for ages when I was 13 (c. 1985) and bought a black Esprit logo teeshirt and black and white cotton spotted shorts. Fave outfit for years. I was still wearing the tee shirt into my 20s. The cotton fabric was soft and weighty - never wore out!! The letters eventually all cracked but it was the best teeshirt ever.

    ReplyDelete