Saturday, March 17, 2012

Lights, Cameras ... Acton! - Pol magazine 1980


I bought a stack of magazines just a couple of days ago called 'POL'.  Knowing absolutely nothing about them, I was instantly struck by the covers and then the fashion editorials inside.  I had a bit of a look on wikipedia just now to see if it had any information and found this but I'm not sure it's the same magazine as it says it ceased publication by 1971 and the issues I have are 1979 - 1982.  Hmmm.... the plot thickens.  Anyway, here's a gorgeous Prue Acton spread with photography from Greg Barrett who has done shoots with Sheila magazine and Dolly also that I have shown here (as per the link on his name).  I adore the final photo - it reminds me of a Patrick Nagel portrait.

6 comments:

  1. Maryanne how do you find these gems?! I don't think there would be anything like this in my neck of the woods, so thank you again for sharing :) Never heard of this mag either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get down on my hands and knees and trawl through piles of dusty magazines - these I found at the Chapel Street Bazaar in Prahran, Melbourne. I definitely needed some anti-bacterial wash after that !! Some of the issues are larger than A4, so I can't scan them until I buy an A3 scanner which should be soonish (I hope).

    ReplyDelete
  3. :D Anti-bacterial.. wow A3? Oh now you remind me of Interview mag, and there was another large sized fashion mag but I can't remember the name of it now. I think it was from the States. Was it W?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm is W a modern magazine? Interview was pretty cool, sadly I don't own any issues, but there's always room for the collection to grow..

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.portrait.gov.au/exhibitions/pol-2003

    ReplyDelete