Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Rough Stuff - Dolly March 1984

March 1984
Model Francesca Raft
Photography Graham Shearer
Styling Patricia Merk

This is a very 1984 fashion spread entitled 'Rough Stuff' featuring heavy duty fabrics.  Photography by Graham Shearer and I can only identify one of the models - Sarah Nursey of course - the ultimate Dolly model herself!  A gorgeous set of photographs, and I do like the look of tying the bottom of the pants above the ankle, as seen in the second last image.  The co-op pinafore dress is very much of this time as well .. I know I have definitely seen some ads in the issues for Co-op which I'll have to upload soon.

11 comments:

  1. Wow, this is familiar, esp the last two images. I didn't know the masthead was in that style into 1984, I thought that was earlier. I also remember loving those slouchy boots, which have been in season recently. Army disposals were used a lot for the fashion spreads. I'd be interested in seeing the results of one of the model comps, I can't remember how the results of those were presented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of the masthead, I think I have the issue when they changed it to the new style (I think it was that same year) I'll rummage and see what I can find.
    The results of the model comps were usually presented in a feature story with images from the night of the announcement.... I'll try and do a post of this coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Maryanne!! It's interesting to see who went on to make it big. I remember Kate Fisher won one yr.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes she did indeed, I have her cover issue - I'll do a feature on it next!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks!! Other names are starting to come back to me from then too - Imogen Ainsley (an actress from Playing Beattie Bow but I remember her from Dolly too). Also, a later name that big success, Anneliese Seubert.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anneliese was just so stunning, I have a great photo spread she did for Dolly which I'm uploading tomorrow that I think you'll like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great, thanks Maryanne! Yeh she was a stunner. Wonder what happened to her too.. oh Dolly should do a where are they now on their covergirls!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i loved Francesca's look growing up ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She kinda reminds me of the girl in the John Cusack film Better Off Dead...
      http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1949796864/nm0291404

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. I know, she was so wholesome and seemed so approachable yet at the same time drop dead gorgeous.

      Delete